Thursday 9 September 2010

Daye 28 / An Afternoon In A Field Of Poppies

always spent the early mornings dreaming
in the back of my daddy’s car
sometimes it would take forever
just to reach our destination
to pass the time I’d count all the cars
either those driving north
or those with silver alloys spinning very fast
or I’d gaze at all the tall glass buildings
as we travelled through the cities
then I’d close my eyes
and dream some more

once on a hot summery day
he skipped work
and we spent the afternoon in a field of poppies
and everything is turning scarlet and grey
there are butterflies everywhere
me with my head on his chest

we drank some pink lemonade
must have been contaminated
and we lay down
and talked until we both fell asleep
me with my head on his chest

when I woke up
I wandered off
to explore the field
but I didn’t stray too far
from my sleeping daddy
always made sure that I stayed within a safe distance
so that I could either hear his breathing
or else see his chest rising up and down
amidst the poppies
found a bright little copse at the field’s edge
where the birdsong sounded really echoey
bumped into puck
the oldest thinge in england
he of pook’s hill
told me some made-up stories
about people from the past
sounded like those
that my daddy read to me
from the golden book
beside my bed
then puck pointed up at the silvery afternoon moon
that was now arisen
and asked questions
which made me feel funny inside
like “what is it that we are part of?”
or “what is it that we are?”
or “who is dreaming this?
your mummy? your daddy?
you? or I?...”

No comments:

Post a Comment